Program Manager: Uganda
NDI – National Democratic Institute
The National Democratic Institute (NDI) seeks an expert civic organizer with experience working with civil society networks to serve as program lead in Uganda. The Program Manager would be responsible for implementing NDI’s component of a USAID-funded program under the Consortium for Elections and Political Process Strengthening (CEPPS). NDI’s program will focus on improving citizens’, notably youth and women, access to electoral processes ahead of and during the Presidential, Parliamentary, and Local government elections in February 2021. The Program Manager will be responsible for day-to-day management of country and program-specific democratic development programs and overall oversight by performing the duties listed below.
Reporting to the Regional Director the Program Manager will be based in Kampala, Uganda for approximately twelve (12) months with the possibility of extension should additional funding become available.
- Oversee program design, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation in relation to program objectives;
- Cultivate and maintain collaborative relationships and communication with donors to ensure programmatic goals are achieved and operational and reporting requirements are respected;
- Coordinate with domestic partners in the implementation of programming;
- Liaise with local civil society organizations and international organizations who are focusing on gender analysis and women’s political participation to better understand women’s participation and the barriers women face;
- Serve as NDI’s representative at local and international conferences and meetings and assists with NDI’s public outreach;
- Regularly prepare written reports to DC that monitor political developments surrounding the electoral process and provide analysis and updates on activities;
- Oversee the project’s budget and expenses in country, take responsibility for advances to fund mission activities, maintain office expenses and local staff’s salaries, and oversee the submission of financial reconciliation statements;
- Manage grants issued to local partners; provide technical assistance to partners to ensure good financial management practices, to increase organizational capacity, and to provide skills necessary to carry out their projects.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent educational background; advanced degree in a field of study related to international development or management, gender studies or a related subject preferred;
- Minimum 8 years of experience working in political environments and/or international development; on electoral and political processes; including serving on and coordinating observation missions for elections and/or referenda; Experience with an international NGO working with USAID, UNDP, and/or EU funding preferred;
- Experience in program design, strategic planning, and monitoring and evaluation;
- Proven ability to manage budgets and to lead and manage a multi-national staff effectively; familiarity with Quicken preferred;
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and networking skills, cultural sensitivity, and a demonstrated ability to build and maintain professional relationships with all levels of staff, US and foreign government personnel, members of donor organizations, funders, and policy makers;
- Outstanding ability to effectively transfer skills and experience to others as a trainer, advisor, and consultant;
- High degree of organization and attention to details;
- Ability to analyze political dynamics, and to collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions;
- Ability to identify, define, and effectively and innovatively resolve problems or respond to opportunities;
- Ability and willingness to travel in-country to locations which are often remote and difficult to reach;
- Knowledge of USAID processes and practices required;
- Experience working and living in Africa preferred;
- Fluent in written and spoken English; familiarity with Luganda and other local languages a plus; and
- Working knowledge of PC-based word processing, and familiarity with Google software and applications including Google Drive, Calendar, Gmail, etc.